HUMANSCALE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Humanscale is committed to sustainability and environmental conservation, which guide our choices in product design, manufacturing and packaging. Recycled and/or recyclable materials account for approximately 85% (by weight) of all materials used in Humanscale products shipped in 2004, and our packaging contains approximately 40% recycled content.
In keeping with our philosophy of renewable design, all Humanscale products are engineered to have minimal impact on our environment. The use of lightweight, streamlined construction for our seating collections and keyboard systems calls for fewer parts and manufacturing processes than virtually all other products in their respective classes.
We have over two decades of design and manufacturing experience using recycled and/or recyclable materials. For example, whenever possible, we manufacture our products using 100% recycled aluminum instead of plastics or other alternatives. Aluminum can be recycled over and over again without losing its performance characteristics, whereas plastics degrade each time they are recycled and therefore have a limited recyclable lifespan. Also, due to its high scrap value, aluminum is far more likely than plastic to be brought in for recycling when a product reaches the end of its useful life.
RECYCLED CONTENT & ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS
All Humanscale products meet or exceed environmental laws and regulations. Some product highlights include:
- Both Freedom and Liberty chairs are lighter in weight and made from significantly fewer parts than every chair in their respective classes, which means that less material and fewer manufacturing processes are used in their creation.
- Freedom seating is manufactured from 60% recycled materials and is 90% recyclable.
- The Freedom Task and Headrest chairs have negligible emissions, and have passed the strict Greenguard air quality standard for low-emitting interior products.
- Liberty is manufactured from 50% recycled materials and is more than 95% recyclable.
- Whenever possible, Freedom and Liberty ship to customer locations blanket-wrapped instead of in boxes, to minimize packaging waste, and maximize chairs per truckload.
- When boxes are required, Freedom and Liberty ship in two pieces that require a 10-second, one-step assembly by the customer. This allows for smaller packaging that reduces by 30% both packaging material and the environmental impact of shipping.
- Our mechanisms, including the 2G, 4G and 5G, are fabricated from 30% recycled steel and are 98% recyclable.
- Our phenolic keyboard platforms are fabricated from wood pulp sourced from renewable forests.
- Our gel palm supports are made from Technogel, which is non-toxic and has negligible emissions.
- The M7 Flat Panel Monitor Arms are fabricated from 90% recycled materials (including 100% recycled aluminum) and are 96% recyclable.
- The majority of M7 units ship to customer locations bulk packed to reduce both packaging waste and the environmental impact of shipping.
- The Diffrient lights are made of up to 90% recycled and recyclable materials - the vast majority of which is aluminum.
- The 26-watt, quad tube, miniature fluorescent bulb and high-efficiency inline ballast provide an environmentally-friendly light source which consumes one-fourth the energy of comparable lights and offers up to ten times the bulb life of traditional incandescent bulbs (10,000 hour life). The cool light source also reduces air conditioning requirements.
- The L2 Notebook Manager is fabricated from steel and polypropylene and is 98% recyclable.
- Our CPU holders are made from 30% recycled materials and are 94% recyclable.
- The weave, finish, dye and stain resistant processes used in the manufacturing of our textiles are all carried out in environmentally-friendly ways. For example, the water used in dying and finishing goes through a cleansing process so that it can be used again.
When our products ship to you, we use the most earth considerate packaging available. Our cardboard packing contains 40% recycled material.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES
We at Humanscale are also committed to protecting the environment for generations to come. Humanscale is a proud sponsor of World Wildlife Fund, and our founder and CEO, Robert King, has served on WWF's National Council since 1999.
Headquartered in New York City, with global distribution, Humanscale remains the leader in environmentally responsible ergonomic design. For more information contact Customer Service at 800-400-0625 or visit the website at
- G&S Feldman, Inc.
- Great Lakes Die Cast.
- L&P Plasrics