PRESERVING THE ENVIRONMENT
As a global company, Humanscale understands that our business choices affect the health of the world around us. We take this responsibility seriously and examine the environmental impact of our decisions. For us, this is an ongoing endeavor and we continually refine our designs and our operations to incorporate advances in technology, materials and our own creativity.
We are proud of the strides we’ve made and are committed to making even more sustainable business decisions as we move forward.
Our approach to sustainability is research based and measurable. We systematically monitor our actions, making improvements every step of the way.
- We believe the best design achieves more with less and that performance and sustainability are not at odds with one another. Rather, they are complementary outcomes of good design.
- The vast majority of our products contribute to LEED credits. In addition, most of our products are certified by SCS Global Services’ Indoor Advantage, GREENGUARD and/or level®, BIFMA’s sustainability certification program for furniture.
- We remain focused on responsible energy management as we work toward a marked reduction in use and waste. We monitor use at our own facilities and offices, and evaluate improvements against historical baselines.
- We support our customers with sustainable product disposal. Our products are built to last, but if and when disposal is needed, we’re here to help. Read about the options for disposal here.
Design for Environment
We design and produce all of our products with a constant and genuine focus on our environmental impact at every stage.
- Our design team follows a Design for Environment product development process. This is a systematic protocol in which environmental impacts are reviewed at every stage of product design—learn more here.
- We actively work to prevent pollution produced at our facilities, as outlined in our Waste Management Policy, with a goal of diverting 100% of our facility waste away from landfill.
- We reduce or eliminate hazardous chemical content throughout our manufacturing facilities, from finishing and assembly to janitorial cleaning solvents. Chemicals are regularly assessed and replaced with greener solutions whenever possible.
- As a business partner, we leverage our influence to encourage vendors to source more sustainable materials and engage in an active dialogue on approaches to business that are grounded in environmentally sound practices.
As our name suggests, people are at the core of our business. That’s why we invest in the well-being of our teams, our customers, our partners, our communities and the world in which we live.
- As an employer, we pride ourselves on our ability to develop and keep our work environments safe, respectful and productive for all of our team members.
- As a company, we actively support non-profit organizations in our communities with monetary and in-kind donations, as well as volunteer work. As part of our Close the Loop program, we help our customers donate items to non-profits and charitable groups that can reuse Humanscale products.
- On a global level, Humanscale is a member of the U.N. Global Compact, which aligns businesses with common goals of improving labor conditions, protecting human rights, preventing anti-corruption practices and promoting environmental efforts. We are also committed to responsible sourcing of raw materials. It is our policy to refrain from sourcing minerals from conflict mines in or around the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- As a member of World Wildlife Fund’s National Council since 1999, our Founder and CEO Robert King is a strong supporter of WWF.
Who we are
Discover our position statement, design philosophy, and environmental stance.
We believe the best designs are based on purpose and function.
Ergonomics of work